Mission Statement

Our Mission is to promote art and art education in the community and among its members. To encourage and promote a public interest and understanding of art; to create and develop a closer relationship between art and the community and further the education and artistic development of its members.


Monday, April 30, 2012

YUPO...WHAT IS IT?

YUPO....WHAT IS IT? About a year ago, someone introduced me to a new synthetic, watercolor paper. It was touted to be a "saver of trees" since it is not really paper....it feels and acts like plastic! Ever ride a water slide at the beach? Well, that's how it feels to paint on a surface that feels like glass! With watercolor no less.

 Anyone who paints with water color knows that it is very runny and has very little body. It cannot catch on to yupo, so it slides! And what fun it is to watch your hues collide and then blend. As you pick up the paper and tilt, then the fun really begins.  When you look at the photo above, it is hard to believe that in just moments it will transform into a lovely painting I call "Galilee Flower".  I was ill on Easter and could not go to church, so I painted this painting to commemorate my feelings about Easter.

I chose colors of flowers, because that is what I intended to make in the painting.  With yupo, you can wait for your painting to dry at a stage where you feel it is ready to mold and sculpt....with a wet cotton ball or q-tip.  So the image you will see above is my finished painting.  Enjoy.


2 comments: