Mission Statement

Our Mission is to promote art and art education in the community and among its members. To encourage and promote a public interest and understanding of art; to create and develop a closer relationship between art and the community and further the education and artistic development of its members.


Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Leona Mackey to Talk and Demonstrate Artwork


Leona Mackey
Leona Mackey will be at the Renaissance Art Gallery on Saturday March 16 from 2-4 and Sunday March17 till 4, She will demonstrate how to cut & assemble the glass to fuse, explain the process & show a similar final product.

 

Ms Mackey is part of the current show, “Class Acts--Earth Wind and Fire” now at the Renaissance Art Gallery through April 21, 2013.

 



Example of working with glass and steel
"As an artist, I have always worked with organic subjects because they seem to be the  essence of life. I don’t attempt to copy nature but to analyze it and visually show what  only I see. Color is fascinating as it changes each day. I have searched for something other than colors of paint, something I that I could physically touch. I finally discovered dichroic glass. This glass is coated with fine layers of metallic color. It has reflective qualities that I have never achieved using another media. My glass pieces are mini-sculptures that may be worn or framed to hang in one’s home to illustrate individual taste. The wall pieces have gradually turned into sculpture. I mix glass with stainless steel in ways I use sterling silver to complete my jewelry pieces. Many artists work in glass, but I strive to create unique compositions using smooth, blended colors and texture that encourage the viewer to search for his or her own image.

 

Recently, I have discovered reactive glass which has opened another world of creating with color. Sheet glass that contains copper, sulfur and lead react with one another when fired. Using this glass, I am more aware of composition as well as color. My work is ever changing, so there is never two of a kind. The dichroic glass can be combined with the reactive glass, adding a whole new dimension to my work. I am excitedly still experimenting."
 
~Leona Mackey
 
The Renaissance Art Gallery

900 8th Street, Suite #20

Huntington, WV 25701



Gallery (304) 525-3235

Appointments: (304) 453-3187

gallerywv@yahoo.com

www.orgsites.com/wv/renaissance



http://twitter.com/wvgallery

http://renaissancegalleryart.blogspot.com/



Gallery hours are:



Friday & Saturday 12-4 pm, Sunday 1-4 pm

Studio hours Monday 10-Noon, Wednesday 1:00-7:30 pm and Saturday 10-Noon

No comments:

Post a Comment